Wednesday, March 5, 2008

MRI and California

OK so yesterday was MRI day. It's done. Hallelujah. My only real injuries are the puncture wounds in my hand and arm. The nurse had a hard time getting the IV in, which is weird because I have GREAT veins. She stabbed me like 4 times and wiggled the needle around in my arm, but to no avail. I love giving blood but this was TORTURE. The needle in my hand was even worse. The MRI itself could have been easier--when Nieman had a brain MRI they let her listen to a cd she brought in with headphones, and I made a great calming MRI cd, but they wouldn't let me listen to it. Also, it would have been easy if they had let Kyle go in with me, even though I knew they wouldn't. ALSO--why is it so impossible to make an MRI machine that doesn't make inconceivably loud noises? That was the worst part. I was in for like 30ish minutes. It was okay. I sang lots of songs in my head, and pretended I was Richard Heller undergoing Sensory Deprivation torture.




The Valium was great--but an hour too late. It didn't kick in until just after my post-hospital-treat, which was lunch at Chilis. Frustrating? Yes. Entertaining for Kyle to see me unable to walk? Probably. I was pretty woozy. So I went home and slept for 3 hours. When he called me later I was incoherent.



Verdict--no brain tumor! I still have to go in to my doctor in like a week. I don't know what for. Hopefully he'll give me good pain medication?

Also, we got Katy from the airport. To celebrate, Nieman and Katy and I (and eventually Kyle) went to Olive Garden! It was good. Nieman's first time.

And now, my trip to California!

Ok it was awesome. It was SHORT though--that was unfortunate. The flight there was awesomely short--it turns out that Kyle is BRILLIANT at crossword puzzles. I had no idea.




Friday--once we got there, there was pretty much time to...go to sleep. Everyone was tired, and it was late. We didn't even get to see Lucy/Christy/Danny because they were already asleep. It was nice to be in my house though.

Saturday-- I was woken up at 7 by Lucy. OH MY GOSH how is it possible that she is even cuter than I last saw her! She walks all the time now, and just learned to crawl. (Her crawling is pretty hilarious...Christy should post a video of it on her blog.) I love her to pieces.



We met with our flower lady. She's a riot. AND very talented. We looked at a million pictures and kind of figured out what we want. It's going to be great.

We ate lunch at Tomatinas! That's my favorite restaurant! I just love Walnut Creek. Then the huge task of the day--REGISTERING. I'm so mad at my stupid body, because I had a fatty headache and couldn't enjoy it to the fullest, but still, it was awesome. We registered at Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, and Bed Bath & Beyond. It took hours and we were all exhausted by the time it was over but it was SO FUN. The scanner gun is cool, and deciding what we want in our future home was exciting. It's hard to believe that people are actually going to buy us the things that we chose. So cool.That night us kids visited Grandma Kay and Grandpa Dee. It was trippy to go to their house, which the Blodgetts lived in while G&G were on their mission for THREE YEARS. That's how long it's been since I've been there! I just love that house. Every little detail of it is SO FAMILIAR. The next day we visited Grandma Joyce, and the same thing happened (even though I've been there recently). I was just thrown back to my childhood. It was fun showing Kyle around the places that I pretty much spent my childhood. I am really lucky that I have grandparents that are so cool and live so close. That night we also played lots of Squeak. Kyle won the first round! Exciting, and unprecedented. He fits in my family so well. It was fun to just hang out and relax with everyone.
Sunday we went to church at my home ward. Everyone wanted to meet Kyle. He did a great job. It's probably overwhelming to meet so many people at the same time, but he is awesome. Soon after, we had to hop on a plane. The flight was easy--this time, we did TWO crossword puzzles.


I wish we could have stayed several more days. California in the spring is so gorgeous. The hills were absolutely amazing--that's my favorite part of Walnut Creek/Concord. They'll still be beautiful and green in May, right?

And now I'm back in Provo, where school sucks really bad. If I had a brain tumor, at least I could've dropped out of my classes! It is just so hard to wait for the semester to be over. I have SO MUCH to look forward to--and it all feels very far away. But most of life is going well. Which is to say, Kyle is awesome.

The next non-school item on my list is March 22nd. Engagement pictures!

3 comments:

Jules AF said...

You HOPE they buy the stuff you painstakingly went and registered for, but I'm finding out that people really don't do that. How annoying!

Nancy said...

So glad you don't have a
"too-mah" (Schwarzanegger accent)! I had a brief chapter with migraines (can count on one hand how many, THANKFULLY!!). My doctor gave me great advice to chart on a calendar when I had them. Not sure why mine went away but my dr. said that sleep deprivation can be a huge trigger if prone to migraines. Wedding planning, school, college life...good luck with that!

Lauren said...

I'm glad you don't have a brain tumor!