Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween Fun Times/Election Frustration

This is such a great week! We have been doing fun Halloweeny things:

Last Saturday we had a movie party and watched Nightmare Before Christmas on our new giant tv because a)Kyle hadn't seen it and b)no one else had either except for Katy and me and c)it is the ultimate Halloween movie! I love it. It was really fun. We also ate a ton of tasty treats.

On Tuesday we went to The Dreaded Grove with Amanda. And oh my gosh! I totally was expecting it to be cheesy and NOT scary, but instead I was nearly crying the whole time from fear--but the fun and good kind of fear, don't worry. Mostly. I was so surprised by my reaction. That is a high-quality haunted grove, I tell you what. I'm not really a fraidy-cat kind of person usually, but...dang. I freaked. The 3 of us went through all 66 acres clutching each other and laughing and SCREAMING constantly and sometimes running because there were bad guys after us! I don't think I've ever screamed so much--it was SO FUN. But do NOT take your kids with you! I would've been traumatized as a child. I'm so glad Amanda came with us, because 3 is definitely less scary than 2.

On Wednesday we went to a scary Spanish movie at International Cinema. It was called El Orfanato, and it wasn't quite what I expected. It was scary--everyone in the theater screamed like the whole time (which was perhaps a bit unwarranted), but it wasn't the fun kind of scary for me. It was like, the ghosts of dead children scary. Less scary/fun than chainsaw massacres, but also less nasty--so that was a plus. Even though I didn't think it was THAT scary except for in a couple parts, it was the kind of movie that you have to try hard to not think about as you go to bed. It was entertaining and had some depth to it, because it was a film by Guillermo del Toro, who is just cool.



Tonight Kyle and I are going to go on a date (I think we decided on Chili's!) and then we have to finish our Halloween costumes. I am very excited for tomorrow! I have a party at work and then one that night. I love Halloween.


New post begins here.


I am SO MAD at the postal system. Mom sent my absentee ballot two weeks ago. Katy got hers. I got everything else Mom sent me. But NOT my ballot. I feel like freaking out! This is such a big deal! California NEEDS my vote right now. Honestly, the presidential election isn't even that big of a deal anymore. I stopped being emotionally invested when Romney wasn't in the race. I will (or would, if I could) just vote for the non-Obama candidate. I AM sporting a McCain sticker right now--so maybe I'm more enthused that I thought. But what I really care about is, obviously, voting for Prop 8! Today I've spent a lot of time reading blogs/facebook notes/websites from both sides of the issue, and I am feeling more supportive than ever! It kills me that I can't give my little vote to help. As soon as Kyle picks me up from Welsh, we're going to head over to the post office to see if there's ANY WAY to find my lost ballot, but I'm not very hopeful.

The goings-on in California are RIDICULOUS right now. I am so mad that people are flipping off my sweet Grandma! And people are yelling at Grandpa, telling him that he's evil. I'm so proud of my family for doing so much for the campaign--they (and so many others that I care about) have given a lot of time and money to do what they can to help. And so when I hear about the stuff that is being done to the Saints in California, I. Am. Mad. People are so blind and hypocritical! They say we're being intolerant, but then they deface our property and verbally abuse us--they've even physically abused people who were supporting Prop 8 (people who were doing the same thing that our Danny has been doing!), and it's just getting so ugly and personal. There are some serious crazies out there.

I am looking forward to election day, just so that this Prop 8 business will be over. I know that whatever the consequences of it failing or passing, we will be okay--because we've been promised. I'm just grateful that I'm on the right side!

8 comments:

~Lara from the Sahara said...

*hyperventilating* none of ur friends and kyle had never seen nightmare before christmas until this week!!?? that IS nuts!!! that's like the greatest movie of all time!!! did u know stores now have this like nightmare before christmas revisited cd? its where u k all the songs and music in the movie are sung by like cool artists like korn, rise against, all-american rejects, marilyn manson, and amy lee and many more. its SO awesome!!! i want it very badly but yaa. its pretty amazing. :]

Christy said...

I too am surprised that none of your friends or Kyle had seen your favorite movie. I wish I had it to watch for Halloween. Thanks for your prop 8 support-even in spirit. I hadn't heard people had been mean to Grandma-can you imagine anyone yelling at our nice grandparents? I can't wait for it all to be over. thanks fro reminding me that it will all be okay no matter what happened. The point is that we did our bit.

TQ said...

Wow, I don't think I should ever watch El Orfanato. Just the picture of it on your blog is creeping me out! :) Now remind me who it was that suddenly started SCREAMING while we were watching Anastasia because they "thought [they] saw a hand." Hmmm? And then of course you hopped off the floor and sat with Christi and I to watch the rest of the movie from the safety of the couch.

I really hope you get your ballot in time!!! I am so jealous of everyone who is getting to vote for Prop 8! I registered in Virginia when I moved out there so the only Prop I got to vote on this year was a bond measure for park and recreation areas in the County of Fairfax. I would much rather get to vote for Prop 8! Anyway, good luck getting your ballot!!!

Becca said...

Oh my gosh, Tiffany...you have a freakishly good memory! I totally remember seeing that hand...that was so scary! If I recall correctly, we were ALL in a pretty jumpy mood. Anastasia will do that to you :)

Katy said...

Oh man! Seriously--that hand! Wow, good thing I didn't remember that when I was watching El Orfanato with you--my pure terror-quotient was already quite filled. I'm glad I left before the end of the movie!

Rica said...

The fact that that site told you you should live in the South really makes me question its accuracy. OBVIOUSLY it misread your answers. How could you live anywhere but the paradise we grew up in? And the South? Talk about humidity. That's going to be my biggest hurdle in the East, but hopefully I can handle it.

What did it tell Kyle?

TQ said...

Haha - I'm glad you and Katy both remember! Yes I suppose we were all quite jumpy that night. I am pretty sure the second you screamed, we all screamed - even though you were the only one who saw a hand. We just screamed because you screamed...for ice cream...

Anonymous said...

huh...now I feel a little ackward posting something since I wasn't there for "the hand." Nevertheless, comment I will!

Anyway, Becca it has been a long time! When I come up to Provo next time I should give you a ring and hang out with you and your husband. Hope things are going well!