Sunday, June 3, 2007



Today I grew as a person. I took a HUGE leap into becoming cooler and more normal and more who I want to be. Today...I danced. I know, crazy. Becca Anderson does NOT dance--ever. At least, very rarely, and never flamboyantly. I can sedately tap my foot as well as the next person, but anything else, heck no. When people say "Let's dance!" and you say "No, I can't dance", they always say "What? Everyone can dance! You just move your body!" But that's where the problem is, because I don't know how to move my body. I am way too uncoordinated and self-conscious. I suck. But I remember Adam telling me about his Saturday morning groove sessions--before anyone in the apartment woke up, he'd just go downstairs and dance all by himself. (I hope those weren't secret groove sessions. Sorry Adam). I never thought I could even do that--too awkward. BUT today I tried it. When I got back from singles ward (which was awful, don't even ask) and the rest of my family was at church, I put on some sweet tunes and tried really hard to dance. At first I couldn't it--even by myself I felt completely ridiculous. But, after a while, I got into it. So, the first song I really really danced to since middle school was, I'm proud to admit, "Don't Pay the Ferryman" by Chris de Burgh. 80s music is so great.

I know it's silly, but this is actually a pretty big deal. What's even more exciting is that I liked it! I enjoyed myself! I still couldn't do that in front of anybody else in the entire world--no friends, no family--but at least I did it! I'll work up to it. Maybe that's how I'll know who I'm supposed to marry--if I can dance like an idiot and not feel absolutely retarded, he's the one. Turns out that "dancing" to me is "jumping up and down and flailing my arms around". So yeah, I suck, but at least I make myself move my body, and maybe someday I'll move my body in front of other humans. I'm just going to keep on truckin'.

In other news, today Mom turned on the tv and what was on? DANTE'S PEAK. Score. Gotta love 90s disaster movies. That's right up there with Twister and Volcano. I'd like to meet the person who could honestly say that they didn't like Twister when it came out. That flying cow was the talk of Strandwood Elementary, I tell you what. Then Katy and I watched a sweet documentary on the History Channel about the mythological allusions of Star Wars. I would like to submit that Han Solo is the coolest character ever created. Luke's pretty neat too, if you think about the whole Savior of the Universe part.


I promise I don't just watch tv all the time.

1 comment:

TheMoncurs said...

I LOVE to dance. And I'm not half bad when I dance in public.

However, one of my roommates (with whom I was really really close) and I would occasionally have dance parties with just the 2 of us in our living room. At these dance parties anything went. There was much flailing of arms, hopping on one foot, somersaults, anything we felt like. We would wear whatever we wanted, including, but not limited to: belly dancing outfits, hoochie shorts, sheet-togas, and VS Very Sexy bras. Oh yes, we looked like complete and total (occasionally slutty) idiots and our street cred would have been completely ruined had anyone else seen us. But it was just us 2. And it was totally awesome.

Welcome to the world of dancing :)