Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mitt's speech


Today I woke up 3 hours earlier than I normally do on Thursdays, so that I could watch Mitt Romney's Faith & Politics speech. It was WELL worth it. His speech was awesome. Katy and I later talked about how inspiring and NECESSARY he is/will be for our country. He said so many things that I wanted to get up and applaud him for! I'm proud of him. His speech was strong and I hope everyone was listening.

Before I knew much about the 2008 candidates, I was skeptical about Mitt. I didn't want to immediately like him just because he's Mormon, because a)what if he was stupid, and b)I don't like when people do that. I didn't want to like him with no reasons to back it up. So a couple weeks ago I finally got around to researching candidates. Then I stayed up til 4 AM to watch the Republican debate with Katy. I realized that I like some of the guys--Huckabee is cool when he's not trying to talk smack about Romney, and Hunter is an honest great guy. And you know, turns out I LOVE MITT. I don't just support him, I am devoted to him. I even joined the Facebook group for him--which is a big deal for me. I never join facebook groups. I would be so proud to have him as my president, and I trust him to do a good job. I can't wait to vote for him.

Liking Mitt Romney isn't super popular here, come to find out. Today in Spanish we all had to write sentences on the board using a particular tense (present perfect subjunctive or something like that--I swear I'll know before the test!) and for my sentence I wrote "I think Mitt Romney gave a good speech this morning" and one of the really loud girls totally got all up in my face about it. The students around me were all dumbfounded that I liked the speech. And dude, I LOVED the speech. It seems like if you like Mitt Romney at BYU, others assume it's because you're ignorant and uninformed. Well...I'm not either of those things, and I stick with him. I think it's just because at BYU it's cool and "edgy" (forgive me...I know we all haaaate that word) to be different and liberal. That's something that really bothers me.

I never talk about politics. It's nearly impossible to do so without a fight, and I just refuse to be part of that. I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong to support a certain candidate, even if I am wildly against their views. I'll just quietly support Mitt and let other people think whatever they want.

5 comments:

Caitlin Carroll said...

I agree with you about those people that are liberal just because they can be. I personally though have very strong convictions regarding social and economic policies that tend to lean left. Just so you know :) I don't like Mitt's policies, but he is a decent individual and I thought his speech was good. And his sons are HOT. And Hillary Clinton's daughter... not so much :)

Janae Wallace said...

Ok. You're cool. Let's be friends still.

Janae Wallace said...

Yeah I just made it today. I actually had some old ones, but they were just...well...old. So I made a new one and I even added another post today! I wanted the other one to be on top though so I changed the time...hehe. Hopefully I'll be able to post a lot and maybe it'll be creative :)

Council Bluffs said...

Glad to see that you have made the ultiMITT comMITTment to Mitt.

Scotty said...

There have always been the liberal contingent at BYU, I think your take on them is probably true. My feeling is if they want to be on the fringes of politics and religion or what ever there is a good university for that about 50 miles north from the Y.

As for MITT I would vote for him if he were Catholic, Baptist or Jew. I think it is a bonus that he is a MO.