Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight, of course

Can we just talk about Batman for a second? Ok thanks.

Guys--have you SEEN Batman? If you have, I hope you noticed that it was INCREDIBLE. That's kind of hard to miss though. I kept just feeling overwhelmed by how GOOD some actors are! Namely, people who act in BATMAN. That cast is just...wow. Let's talk about that for a second.

Obviously, Christian Bale. We all love Christian Bale. We've loved Christian Bale since he was a little boy making me cry in Henry V. We love him when he sings and dances in Newsies. We love him in The Prestige, even more than we love Hugh Jackman. We love him in Equilibrium, when he blew our minds and cemented that movie in the Best Movie Ever spot. We love him in really awful movies, like Reign of Fire. We love him when he's creepy, like in The Machinist. We love him when we just hear his voice, like in Howl's Moving Castle and Pocahontas. We are waiting with bated breath to see him in the new Terminator movie, which preview I saw last night and I nearly wet myself with excitement. Guys, there are SO MANY MORE MOVIES I love because of him, too many to even mention. He is just an incredible actor! He is so talented and awesome! And I'm married now so I don't even notice how attractive he is, so you know that I am unbiased and my love for him is pure. And in The Dark Knight, I think he did a really amazing job.


Heath Ledger. We were all expecting a mind-breaking performance, and we got it. His creepiness and off-puttingness was so over the top, it was perfect. I'm glad he was SO The Joker, and not at all Heath Ledger, which would have been distracting. The way he MADE this character was just ingenious and terrifying and mesmerizing. I couldn't take my eyes off him, even though sometimes I wanted to when I was worried he was about to do something particularly nasty. He held up knives to people's faces a LOT! In short, I hope all the rumors about a posthumous Oscar are true.

I'm pretty sure if you read my blog, you know that I am slightly obsessed with Michael Caine. Is he just the kindest and best man ever? When he talks I just feel so calm and comforted! He is such a good Alfred, because it becomes apparent that Bruce Wayne NEEDS him in his life. He always just gives him such good advice and comfort. Michael Caine is the only person I can see in this role. He is amazing. I love him. I wish I knew him, more than I wish I knew other people that I'm also slightly obsessed with. Wouldn't it be fun to be friends with him? He's a knight, he's in awesome movies, and his accent is so endearing. Also, he has a hot wife.

Speaking of older men that I am slightly obsessed with, let's talk about Gary Oldman for a second. In Batman Begins, he had a disappointingly a small role. I guess that was necessary for the plot or whatever, but I'm glad that Christopher Nolan made him HUGE in this movie! So is Lt./Commissioner Gordon the man or WHAT??? Probably lot of y'all haven't seen it yet, so I won't give away anything cool. But for those of you who have--isn't that one thing he did just really AWESOME?! How great was that!!! I loved how they did Gordon in this movie. I love how HE did Gordon in this movie. I never once even cared about Commissioner Gordon--but he's a real character to me now, someone that I love and trust and actually care about. And yeah, that's probably just because it's Gary Oldman, another of my absolute favorite actors. He can do anything, I'm convinced.

I could go on. Morgan Freeman did a great job, as always, and I loved him, as always. I'm glad he had more of a role in this installment. Aaron Eckhart, who I kind of didn't really care about before I saw this movie, was great and believable and I now think he's awesome. He made me so sad, and looked pretty nasty by the end, but he did a great job as Harvey Dent. I'm not that into Maggie Gyllenhaal, and I thought she didn't even look as good as she normally does (did she look old to anyone else?), but I don't like the idea of women in Batman anyways and she didn't detract from the movie for me. Also, I was relieved that Cillian Murphy wasn't in it tons. He's too scary.

I really want to see it again already. Kyle and I went to the midnight showing (thanks to Celia!) and had a great time, despite feeling like oldtimers. So many high school kids driving me crazy! All the crazies were definitely there. And it was definitely LATE for us to be up. We got home after 3 and woke up at 6:30 to go to work--which definitely wasn't easy. Actually, I woke up earlier feeling AWFUL. I think my body was mad at me for staying up so late and eating so much candy and soda (in my defense, I did it in order to stay awake until midnight--then the adrenaline of the best movie ever kicked in and I was fine) so it decided to punish me by feeling really really really sick. I called in sick to work, but I'm going in in like an hour because I have a lot to do and I don't want it all to wait til Monday. Poor Kyle did have to go to work though, and has probably had a miserable day. If the movie was anything less than amazing I would be regretting our choices--but I think it was worth it. THAT'S how good it was! I've been thinking about it constantly, replaying lines and scenes in my head. Yeah, I'm definitely ready to see it again.

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

Yeah, you "called in sick." I bet a lot of people did that yesterday after seeing that movie late at night. I, however, went and saw it at a reasonable hour last night and was just as satisfied. :) And I'm not married, so I will talk about how unbelievably HOT Christian Bale is. Oh my goodness. Soooo attractive. I. Love. Him.

Caitlin Carroll said...

Tim saw it without me because I had to work but I heard it was fantastic!! We are definitely going to use my free movie passes this week so I can go see it. I'm SO excited.

Lillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lillian said...

Becca, I loved this post! Because I LOVE this movie... though I think you could maybe spend a little more time talking about how absolutely RIVETING Christopher Nolan's work is. Holy freaking cow! He's the genius behind The Prestige, both Batmans, and an amazing moving called Memento -- that I actually highly recommend despite its rating (my AP lit teacher lied to get me to watch it. True story.) Anyway, watch it and your respect for him will skyrocket through the roof. I love him and he has a real knack for creating serial killers and I can almost guarantee that it will blow your mind probably even more than Equilibrium.

By the way, you are great :)

Becca said...

Ha--I LOVE Memento, Lillian! I saw it in high school and bought it and I've never regretted it. SO GOOD. That's when I discovered Christopher Nolan--and decided to love him forever.