Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas!!


It was our first real Christmas at home this year.  We've been here once before, but that was unexpected so we didn't have any plans or anything.  This year, we really wanted to make it special and establish the traditions that we'll do forever.  I made an Advent calendar and each night we did a fun activity.  Ruby loved it, and it ensured that we felt the Christmas spirit all month long!  I wondered if we would feel bereft without family but we had a really good Christmas by ourselves.  It helped that our Christmas tree was brimming with gifts from our families.  I was so excited about presents!  I made Ruby rearrange them with me every couple days because it made me so happy.  I wanted to buy everything in the world for Ruby but I managed to keep it to an almost reasonable level--to Kyle at least. I thought it was VERY reasonable :)  I had so much fun wrapping presents for her and for Kyle.  Jane kind of got gypped this year but we'll make up for it when she's old enough to appreciate presents :)  Ruby loved shaking her gifts--she guessed that everything was either a toy or a shirt.  She was mostly right!

On Christmas Eve, we went to my Aunt Diana's house in Salt Lake for a party.  It was very festive and it was fun to be with family.  We played, and ate, and visited, and sang, and played bells--and then SANTA CAME!  When he came in through the door, all the kids sat stunned except Ruby, who ran up to him for a big hug.  All the kids sat on his knee and talked to him and received a present from him--jammies!  It was super exciting.



We got home pretty late, so we had to skip the leaving cookies out for Santa tradition.  Ruby was already asleep in the car on the way home.  Kyle and I stayed up late getting everything ready. I was SO HAPPY. Christmas Eve night is probably the best few hours of the whole year.  All the anticipation and excitement and love and joy!  Ahhhh I miss it.


None of us slept very well that night--Ruby was up a ton with bad dreams, and I couldn't sleep because I was so excited for Christmas.  Luckily we were all happy in the morning.  We wanted to spread out the present opening so we took some breaks.  First we saw what Santa brought for Ruby and Jane, which was thrilling.  Then we emptied our stockings, which was super exciting for me because Kyle had done mine so it was a surprise.  We took a break to make breakfast (monkey bread), and started opening presents while it baked. We took another break to eat and then finished off the presents.  All in all, it took us like 3 hours or so.  Things moved slow because Ruby wanted to play with every toy as she opened it--we had to keep telling her to wait and open the next gift! I only got pictures of a few of her presents-- I wanted to just enjoy the morning, not have my phone camera ready at every moment.










We had to figure out a whole new organization system for her toys to fit them all neatly in her room. I love it.  I am having a blast playing with her new toys with her!  And I love my presents too! I got way more than I anticipated.  It was such an awesome Christmas. I miss it already :(  We took down the tree and decorations the next day because it is always so depressing and I wanted to get it over with.  Ruby says she misses Santa and wants to see him again.  Oh well, just another year til we get to see him again!

No comments: