Friday, June 29, 2007

It isn't every day you get to do your favorite thing

I'm so lucky! On Thursday night, I spent the evening here with Katy and Mom:

That means it was OPERA TIME!!!!!!!!!!! Yes my friends, I got to see what Kierkegaard called the most perfect opera of all time: Mozart's Don Giovanni. If you've ever seen Amadeus (and please do) it's that one opera they show a bit of. And it was GORGEOUS. Turns out I already know a lot of the music--I just didn't know what it was from. Guys, opera is the greatest artistic expression in the world. The best part was in the end when the Angel of Death came and thrust the protagonist's soul down to Hell. Don't worry, he deserved it. What a bad man! Unfortunately, I found him to be very likable! I hope that doesn't mean I'm evil too. I just can't help but like that rapist/murderer/betrayer. And since I'm a girl, I think it's okay, because come on it's Don Giovanni. That's what he does--trick women into liking him! He's freaking Don Juan! (That's how I came to terms with my feelings).

It was a GREAT night. Escept I was exhausted when I got home, and then when I woke up for work this morning. Opera, much like my other favorite art form, Bollywood movies, is a LONG process. The opera alone was 3 and a 1/2 hours long, plus the 2 hours of travel time to/from San Francisco, PLUS the insanity of getting out of the city. Every freeway onramp was closed but one--which meant a lot of chaotic traffic confusion. But it was worth it. Man, I LOVE our summer opera tradition. I wonder what's playing in Salt Lake this fall?

No comments: