Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I recommend it.

This is the best book I've read in a LONG TIME. And I have been reading a mile a minute lately, so that's a pretty big deal. It wasn't exciting or fast-paced or anything like that, but it was a pleasure to read. I enjoyed myself so thoroughly that I was morbidly depressed when it was over--not because I was dying to know what happened next, but because I knew I would miss the characters that were practically my friends by the time I finished. It's shortish, but somehow the characters were able to win my heart quickly and easily. They were so lovable. I want to hang out with them. I'm really sad that the author passed away, so there won't be a sequel. Not only was it lovely, but I learned a lot! I had no idea that the Channel Islands were occupied by the Nazis--and I loved learning about the experiences of the people there. So pretty much, this book deserves a "wow" and a heartfelt smile.

4 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

It's already on my "to-read" list but after reading your review I may have to bump it up to the very top of the list. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Jaclyn said...

Glad you loved it. I too mourned the end-- This was book was enchanting (not a word I normally use, but it somehow fits). Good luck picking your next one!

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

I also loved that book!

KJV said...

Just so you know, my dad (Kyle's grandfather) was born in Guernsey. Uh ... Guernsey, Wyoming, that is.